View Single Post
Old September 5th, 2005, 06:13 AM

First recorded activity by WeightlossBanter: Sep 2005
Exclamation

I don’t know what put such a heavy chip on Abby Walker’s shoulder regarding the Bernstein diet (Stanley K’s that is), but she’s got an insufferably superior attitude and a bucketful of misinformation. She may have “researched” the diet, but I’ve been on it and she doesn’t know what she’s talking about. The one main thing she totally skips in her dissection of the diet is the fact that it is MEDICALLY SUPERVISED. I went in to the clinic 3 times a week (at first) and was given injections and vitamins to help compensate for the drop in calories I’d take in each day. Yes, it is a lo-calorie diet and you do cut down on carbs, but it is mainly a lifestyle changing and disciplined approach to weight loss. With nurses monitoring your food intake and general health several times a week, if you ever felt lousy or weak or under the weather they could respond and adjust what you’re eating right on the spot. Personally, I never had that problem. I read the CJOH story and found it totally plausible -- in fact it wasn’t dissimilar from my situation. And I also checked into the CBC link and, while it did have some negative things to say about the required discipline, it also acknowledged that the diet worked. It’s up to the individual how devoted they’re going to be to the process of losing weight and keeping it off. If you really want to lose weight, the Bernstein diet works -- it did for me! As for cost, compared to how long it takes to lose an equal amount of weight on one of the commercial programs (and buy the special foods/frozen dinners that they insist on), the Bernstein diet is a bargain!