Thread: Gastric Bypass
View Single Post
Old August 4th, 2006, 11:41 AM posted to alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
lesanne
external usenet poster

Default Gastric Bypass

Debbie:
I will go you one better than that and tell you what I have seen personally with gastric bypass. The most recent example was a woman who has been a dear friend of mine for years. She has battled her weight for as long as I have known her. The selling point for GBS as opposed to general lifestyle change is that it supposedly reduces the hunger people feel, and increases the feeling of fullness people get after eating smaller portions of food.
If a person is eating when they are not hungry already, this is not an advantage if you think about it logically. If you are overeating, you are almost certainly eating when not physiologically hungry. GBS is like cutting off both your hands to quit smoking. It is only effective if it stops the smoking long enough for a person to get over the bad cravings before they figure out how to smoke using their feet. If you remove the ability to overeat from a person who eats for emotional reasons, that person can either deal with the emotional reasons or find other ways to overeat. My friend is sucking on some high calorie drink or other all the time, has lost a total of about 30 pounds in the last year, and is still morbidly obese. The other two people I personally know who had GBS ? One is an alcoholic (thin and very very sick) the other is near a normal weight and has gone through some major lifestyle change and therapy similar to what I did to lose the 200 pounds I lost WITHOUT surgery. He eats pretty much like I do. I would suggest getting the diet you will have to follow after the surgery and going on that for a while. It is what you will have to do anyway. Then after four or five months on that decide if you want to permanently damage your body. I also suggest you get help with whatever it is that causes you to reach for food when you are not hungry. I know, I am not asking you to do something "easy". Those people pushing GBS aren't either, they are just salespeople.

--
Les
"Debbie" wrote in message news:rEyAg.10294$j9.3379@trnddc02...
Hi All,
I have been reading this group for a coupla years and only posted a few
times.

I was wondering if you could *kindly* tell me what you have heard about
Gastric Bypass.

This is not a flame or bash against WW -- just curious.

Thanks, Debbie