A Weightloss and diet forum. WeightLossBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » WeightLossBanter forum » alt.support.diet newsgroups » Low Carbohydrate Diets
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Easy LC Ice cream in any flavor



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 30th, 2013, 05:06 PM posted to alt.support.diet.low-carb
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 993
Default Easy LC Ice cream in any flavor

I don't know why it took my so long to think of this. But
I recently came up with the idea of just using Breyer's
CarbSmart vanilla ice cream and then turning it into
whatever flavor you want using a food processor. I
made maple walnut, using some maple flavoring extract.
The surprising thing is that not only does it taste
excellent, but it also changes the consistency of the ice
cream, making it more like a soft gelato, ie taking the
air out of it. It's really good. I didn't try refreezing it, but
I would think that would work too. So, if you want to make
the flavor of your choice without going through the whole
ice cream making process, this is a fast and easy way.
  #3  
Old February 1st, 2013, 05:19 PM posted to alt.support.diet.low-carb
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 993
Default Easy LC Ice cream in any flavor

On Jan 30, 4:55*pm, "FOB" wrote:
I have for a long time turned it into coffee ice cream, my favorite flavor,
just by stirring in a bit of instant coffee in the bowl I'm going to eat it
in.


Yeah, that's a good example of an even easier method. I've made
LC ice cream from scratch that was coffee, sliced almonds,
and coconut. Boy was that good! Could do the same thing
using Breyer's LC
  #4  
Old February 7th, 2013, 04:12 AM posted to alt.support.diet.low-carb
Jean B.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 75
Default Easy LC Ice cream in any flavor

The problem is that when you stir something into the CrabSmart ice
cream (probably not even allowed to be called that), you see that
much of it is air, and it really shrinks down to very little.
Clemmy's is pricy but better, IF one can find it. SOMEDAY, I will
try to make ice cream. I think.

FOB wrote:
I have for a long time turned it into coffee ice cream, my favorite flavor,
just by stirring in a bit of instant coffee in the bowl I'm going to eat it
in.

wrote:
| I don't know why it took my so long to think of this. But
| I recently came up with the idea of just using Breyer's
| CarbSmart vanilla ice cream and then turning it into
| whatever flavor you want using a food processor. I
| made maple walnut, using some maple flavoring extract.
| The surprising thing is that not only does it taste
| excellent, but it also changes the consistency of the ice
| cream, making it more like a soft gelato, ie taking the
| air out of it. It's really good. I didn't try refreezing it, but
| I would think that would work too. So, if you want to make
| the flavor of your choice without going through the whole
| ice cream making process, this is a fast and easy way.



--
  #5  
Old February 7th, 2013, 05:46 AM posted to alt.support.diet.low-carb
Bill O'Meally[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 14
Default Easy LC Ice cream in any flavor

On 2013-02-07 04:12:48 +0000, Jean B. said:

The problem is that when you stir something into the CrabSmart ice
cream (probably not even allowed to be called that), you see that much
of it is air, and it really shrinks down to very little. Clemmy's is
pricy but better, IF one can find it. SOMEDAY, I will try to make ice
cream. I think.

FOB wrote:
I have for a long time turned it into coffee ice cream, my favorite
flavor, just by stirring in a bit of instant coffee in the bowl I'm
going to eat it in.

wrote:
| I don't know why it took my so long to think of this. But
| I recently came up with the idea of just using Breyer's
| CarbSmart vanilla ice cream and then turning it into
| whatever flavor you want using a food processor. I
| made maple walnut, using some maple flavoring extract.
| The surprising thing is that not only does it taste
| excellent, but it also changes the consistency of the ice
| cream, making it more like a soft gelato, ie taking the
| air out of it. It's really good. I didn't try refreezing it, but
| I would think that would work too. So, if you want to make
| the flavor of your choice without going through the whole
| ice cream making process, this is a fast and easy way.


Isn't air a major component of all ice cream?
--
Bill O'Meally

  #6  
Old February 7th, 2013, 03:20 PM posted to alt.support.diet.low-carb
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 993
Default Easy LC Ice cream in any flavor

On Feb 7, 12:46*am, Bill O'Meally omeallymd at geemail dot com
wrote:
On 2013-02-07 04:12:48 +0000, Jean B. said:





The problem is that when you stir something into the CrabSmart ice
cream (probably not even allowed to be called that), you see that much
of it is air, and it really shrinks down to very little. Clemmy's is
pricy but better, IF one can find it. *SOMEDAY, I will try to make ice
cream. *I think.


FOB wrote:
I have for a long time turned it into coffee ice cream, my favorite
flavor, just by stirring in a bit of instant coffee in the bowl I'm
going to eat it in.


wrote:
| I don't know why it took my so long to think of this. *But
| I recently came up with the idea of just using Breyer's
| CarbSmart vanilla ice cream and then turning it into
| whatever flavor you want using a food processor. *I
| made maple walnut, using some maple flavoring extract.
| The surprising thing is that not only does it taste
| excellent, but it also changes the consistency of the ice
| cream, making it more like a soft gelato, ie taking the
| air out of it. *It's really good. *I didn't try refreezing it, but
| I would think that would work too. * So, if you want to make
| the flavor of your choice without going through the whole
| ice cream making process, this is a fast and easy way.


Isn't air a major component of all ice cream?
--
Bill O'Meally- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


It's called "overrun" and you're correct there is some
air in all ice cream. The issue is how much. Gelato
has the least, followed by most premium ice creams.
The cheaper ice creams have the most air. More air
brings a few advantages. One of them is obviously the
more air you're selling instead of cream, the less it costs
to make.

If you make ice cream at home, it probably has about
the air of gelato. That's one reason why if you put it in the freezer
after it's made, it gets very hard compared to a product like
CarbSmart.

When you process the CarbSmart in a food processor
to add in other flavors, it also takes out most of the air,
like Jean says. But I found that to be a plus. Instead of
a lighter, airy product, the consistency totally changes and
it comes out dense, like gelato. I haven't tried re-freezing
it again. That would be interesting to find out too.
  #7  
Old February 7th, 2013, 09:07 PM posted to alt.support.diet.low-carb
FOB
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 231
Default Easy LC Ice cream in any flavor

Yes.

Bill O'Meally wrote:
|
| Isn't air a major component of all ice cream?
| --
| Bill O'Meally
  #8  
Old February 8th, 2013, 11:55 AM posted to alt.support.diet.low-carb
Bill O'Meally[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 14
Default Easy LC Ice cream in any flavor

On 2013-02-07 15:31:11 +0000, Susan said:


I've made LC ice cream in a Cuisinart maker. If you use xylitol and
liquid sucralose and add some vodka to prevent ice crystals, you can
get a really good texture.

My favorite creation was salted pistachio ice cream.


Please share your recipe and techniques. Sounds yummy!
--
Bill O'Meally

  #9  
Old February 9th, 2013, 02:16 PM posted to alt.support.diet.low-carb
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 993
Default Easy LC Ice cream in any flavor

On Feb 8, 6:55*am, Bill O'Meally omeallymd at geemail dot com wrote:
On 2013-02-07 15:31:11 +0000, Susan said:



I've made LC ice cream in a Cuisinart maker. If you use xylitol and
liquid sucralose and add some vodka to prevent ice crystals, you can
get a really good texture.


My favorite creation was salted pistachio ice cream.


Please share your recipe and techniques. Sounds yummy!
--
Bill O'Meally


For vanilla:

1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups Hood LC Milk
1 vanilla bean (or 2 tsp vanilla extract)
5 egg yolks
2/3 cup polydextrose
2 Tbsp Xylitol
2 Tbsp Erythritol
liquid spenda to taste (i use about 1/2 cup equiv)
1/2 tsp xanathan gum

Add the milk, cream, pinch of salt to a pot and begin slowly
heating it to just short of a simmer. You don't want
to boil it. As it's heating add in the polydextrose, sprinkling
in a little at a time while stirring. Do the same with the
xanathan gum. I find it works best if you just sprinkle
on enough to coat the surface, then let it sit for a min or
two, then stir in. Add in the xylitol and
erythritol. If any of the polydextrose has gone lumpy
on you, either continue to wisk while heating to disolve
or use an immersion blender.

Split the vanilla bean in half, then scrape out the
seeds with a knife. Place the scrapings and the
bean in the pot. When it's just short of a boil, turn
off the heat and allow it to steep to extract the vanilla
flavor.

Seperate the eggs, you want the yolks. Beat them until
they just start to get ribbony. After the pot has set for
about 20 mins, remove the vanilla bean. Scrape it again
with a knife to remove the remaining seeds and return
them to the pot. Discard the bean part. Take about a
large kitchen spoon worth of the warm liquid from the pot and
whisk it into the eggs. Repeat several times to bring the
eggs up in temperature, then you can pour the egg
mixture into the pot while stirring it in.

At this point, you can add the splenda and adjust to taste.
Begin slowly heating the pot again over med heat while
occasionally stirring. You want to get it to about 170F, or
the point at which it's thickened enough so that it leaves
a good coating on the back of a large spoon. At that point,
remove from heat and run it through a strainer. Then let
it cool and refrigerate. Give it at least 6 hours. I also
make sure the fridge is set real cold, 34F. Then run it
through your ice cream maker. Enjoy as soft server or
place in the freezer for a couple hours to firm up. If
you're adding nuts, etc, place them in the freezer too
prior to incorporating and add them at the end.

If you don't have the Erythritol or Xylitol, you can make
it without. That formula just works for me, but it's still
close without them. The xanathan helps prevent ice
crystals and helps with the texture. You can play with the
amount. With more you get less crystals, but if you
put in too much, the ice cream will have a gummy
texture.

Also, getting everything as cold as possible, ie the
mixture, the ice cream machine, is critical. The faster
it forms, the smaller the ice crystals. Also, when it's
done, make sure to put it into another container before
putting it in the freezer. You don't want to set the
ice cream maker freeze bowl in there with the new
ice cream.


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone ever use natural butter flavor? Bryan[_2_] Low Carbohydrate Diets 1 April 13th, 2012 12:48 AM
Something to try? - Flavor Sprinkles [email protected] General Discussion 2 February 16th, 2006 05:41 PM
Something to try? - Flavor Sprinkles [email protected] Low Carbohydrate Diets 2 February 16th, 2006 05:41 PM
Flavor Sprays Annie Benson Lennaman General Discussion 13 February 15th, 2006 04:45 PM
what to flavor tea with? Steve Knight Low Carbohydrate Diets 22 April 27th, 2005 03:41 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2018 WeightLossBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.