A Weightloss and diet forum. WeightLossBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » WeightLossBanter forum » alt.support.diet newsgroups » General Discussion
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Zero Calorie Diet Sodas: Good Or Bad For Weight Loss?

Old June 15th, 2005, 03:59 AM

First recorded activity by WeightlossBanter: Jun 2005
Default Zero Calorie Diet Sodas: Good Or Bad For Weight Loss?

Zero Calorie Diet Sodas: Good Or Bad For Weight Loss?

Calorie-free diet sodas, like Diet Coke™, Diet Pepsi™ or Diet-7 Up™ seem very good for weight loss or maintenance, compared to their sugar-saturated counterparts. For example, just a cup of orange juice contains a whopping 110 calories. That’s a big hit for anyone who is counting calories and matching them up with cardiovascular exercise to help burn fat.

In spite of the dangers of aspartame, sugar-free sodas are obviously quite popular across the country. I myself used to drink as many as ten each day while at work, ignoring the potential health problems I would face after consuming such large amounts of those controversial ingredients; caffeine and artificial sweeteners (like aspartame).

How does Caffeine Affect My Body?

Most of the worries about the caffeine content in diet sodas is centered on the eventual dependence by the brain and kidneys. In three words; caffeine is addictive. Caffeine is classified as a diuretic substance, meaning that it naturally causes dehydration. That explains why we aren’t really satisfied in terms of quenching thirst; even after a few cans of the drink. In addition to this, it has been said that sodas containing caffeine may causes you to gain weight over time. Why? The confusion of hunger and thirst signals may cause you to overeat. I noticed this back when I downed a few cans a day. I was very attracted to carbs in the form of chips and snack crackers.

How Do Artificial Sweeteners Affect My Body?

Independent studies have shown that the sweet taste of diet sodas causes your brain to send signals to your liver, telling it to prepare to process sugar. Then when no sugar enters the liver, you are signaled to eat more through hunger sensations. This can obviously cause overeating.

Best Diet Drinks

Water is still the most effective and safe diet drink. Instead of dehydrating your body, it actually quenches your thirst. Because water contains 0 calories, and has some good effects on your metabolism and mood, it’s a great friend to have in your quest for weight loss or maintenance.

Copyright Ian Mason and Shoppe.MD 2004-2005
Old June 15th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Andrew
external usenet poster

I aggree.