A Weightloss and diet forum. WeightLossBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » WeightLossBanter forum » alt.support.diet newsgroups » General Discussion
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Diet colas ?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 23rd, 2010, 04:59 PM posted to alt.support.diet
Doug Freyburger
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,866
Default Diet colas ?

PB wrote:

I have so few pleasures left, can't keep diet coke/pepsi as one ?


Are diet sodas harmful? Probably. Are regular sugar sodas harmful?
Definitely. Chances are the diet sodas are no worse and may be a little
less bad than regular sugar sodas.

I have no reaction to aspartame but I do know a small number of people
who do. It blocks any attempt for my wife to lose and she's gone
through several cycles to demonstrate that happening. I prefer Diet
Rite or Diet RC Cola over either Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi because of
this. Diet Rite was the first on the market to switch to Splenda as its
sweetener.

Of course eventually problems will emerge about Splenda use just they do
with all artificial sweeteners, but there's no way they will end up as
common as aspartame problems. And I know my wife is one of the few who
have some sort of reaction to aspartame and neither of us have short
term issues with Splenda.

Bad for weight gain ? No one seems sure. zero calories, but something
about aspartame and sugar substitutes, I don't know.


I've known several people who drank diet sodas nearly to the exclusion
of regular water. They are fat. Diet sodas have no calories so they
may not contribute to weight gain but they certainly do nothing to help
loss. But is loss really about the liquids as long as you drink actual
water for your daily quota and have sodas in addition? I don't think so
unless you're experimented with stalls and seen the stalls break as soon
as you stopped aspartame.

Gonna just eat raw and drink water, except can't afford healthy food
vegan diet.


The idea that vegan food is healthy is false. There are valid reasons
for going vegan and if one of those reasons applies to you then do it.
But please don't use a false reason and then end up wondering why yet
another attempt at dieting failed.

That's why poor people are fat. Junk and processed foods are cheaper.


Cheaper in terms of time and convenience. If you compare the dollar
cost of going to fast food places for a month with buying on sale meat
and low price veggies for a month the dollar cost isn't going to be
higher for the healthy food. And if you use beans in a crockpot for a
fraction of your food that makes it a lot cheaper in dollars. The cost
of the healthy foods is the effort not the dollars, and in the learning
to buy based on price and the initial shopping trips that you end up
buying the worng foods before you relearn. The first month may cost
more dollars but not later months. It's the effort that's higher.

And once you consider the price in effort, making the inherently
problematic vegan approach healthy takes significantly more effort.
Humans are omnivores in objective fact and so it is very easy to cover
our metabolic needs by mixing meat and veggies and fruit and nuts
without much advance planning. Just have some of each and pay a little
attention to variety and it works. With vegan it takes planning to
acheive a healthy result. More price in the coinage of thought and
effort.

I think the more critical aspect is the fact that fast foods are
designed to trigger cravings for more of them. They tap instinctive
cravings for rich/fatty, sweet/starchy and salty, and they do it with
little other nutrition so they don't really let the hunger go completely
away.
  #2  
Old April 23rd, 2010, 10:20 PM posted to alt.support.diet
PB
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9
Default Diet colas ?

On Apr 23, 11:59*am, Doug Freyburger wrote:
PB wrote:

I have so few pleasures left, can't keep diet coke/pepsi as one ?


Are diet sodas harmful? *Probably. *Are regular sugar sodas harmful?
Definitely. *Chances are the diet sodas are no worse and may be a little
less bad than regular sugar sodas.

I have no reaction to aspartame but I do know a small number of people
who do. *It blocks any attempt for my wife to lose and she's gone
through several cycles to demonstrate that happening. *I prefer Diet
Rite or Diet RC Cola over either Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi because of
this. *Diet Rite was the first on the market to switch to Splenda as its
sweetener.

Of course eventually problems will emerge about Splenda use just they do
with all artificial sweeteners, but there's no way they will end up as
common as aspartame problems. *And I know my wife is one of the few who
have some sort of reaction to aspartame and neither of us have short
term issues with Splenda.

Bad for weight gain ? No one seems sure. zero calories, but something
about aspartame and sugar substitutes, I don't know.


I've known several people who drank diet sodas nearly to the exclusion
of regular water. *They are fat. *Diet sodas have no calories so they
may not contribute to weight gain but they certainly do nothing to help
loss. *But is loss really about the liquids as long as you drink actual
water for your daily quota and have sodas in addition? *I don't think so
unless you're experimented with stalls and seen the stalls break as soon
as you stopped aspartame.

Gonna just eat raw and drink water, except can't afford healthy food
vegan diet.


The idea that vegan food is healthy is false. *There are valid reasons
for going vegan and if one of those reasons applies to you then do it.
But please don't use a false reason and then end up wondering why yet
another attempt at dieting failed.

That's why poor people are fat. Junk and processed foods are cheaper.


Cheaper in terms of time and convenience. *If you compare the dollar
cost of going to fast food places for a month with buying on sale meat
and low price veggies for a month the dollar cost isn't going to be
higher for the healthy food. *And if you use beans in a crockpot for a
fraction of your food that makes it a lot cheaper in dollars. *The cost
of the healthy foods is the effort not the dollars, and in the learning
to buy based on price and the initial shopping trips that you end up
buying the worng foods before you relearn. *The first month may cost
more dollars but not later months. *It's the effort that's higher.

And once you consider the price in effort, making the inherently
problematic vegan approach healthy takes significantly more effort.
Humans are omnivores in objective fact and so it is very easy to cover
our metabolic needs by mixing meat and veggies and fruit and nuts
without much advance planning. *Just have some of each and pay a little
attention to variety and it works. *With vegan it takes planning to
acheive a healthy result. *More price in the coinage of thought and
effort.

I think the more critical aspect is the fact that fast foods are
designed to trigger cravings for more of them. *They tap instinctive
cravings for rich/fatty, sweet/starchy and salty, and they do it with
little other nutrition so they don't really let the hunger go completely
away.


So....doesn't cause weight gain but prevents weight loss ?

I'm lost. Difference between aspartame and other artificial
sweeteners ?

  #3  
Old April 24th, 2010, 01:41 AM posted to alt.support.diet
Doug Freyburger
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,866
Default Diet colas ?

PB wrote:

So....doesn't cause weight gain but prevents weight loss ?


That's what aspartame does to my wife. Not even a worst case for ill
effects from it. Most folks get no ill effects.

But do think about anyone you know who drinks diet sodas in the place of
other liquids. Are any of them thin or are all of them fat?

I'm lost. Difference between aspartame and other artificial
sweeteners ?


All of them either have known problems or will some day. Aspartame is
the one with the most problems.
  #4  
Old May 5th, 2010, 04:13 AM posted to alt.support.diet
Del Cecchi[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Diet colas ?

Doug Freyburger wrote:
PB wrote:
So....doesn't cause weight gain but prevents weight loss ?


That's what aspartame does to my wife. Not even a worst case for ill
effects from it. Most folks get no ill effects.

But do think about anyone you know who drinks diet sodas in the place of
other liquids. Are any of them thin or are all of them fat?

I'm lost. Difference between aspartame and other artificial
sweeteners ?


All of them either have known problems or will some day. Aspartame is
the one with the most problems.


Are they fat because they drink diet soda? Or do they drink diet soda
because they are fat?
  #5  
Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:19 PM
Watson Watson is offline
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity by WeightlossBanter: Feb 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Cecchi[_3_] View Post
Doug Freyburger wrote:
PB wrote:
So....doesn't cause weight gain but prevents weight loss ?


That's what aspartame does to my wife. Not even a worst case for ill
effects from it. Most folks get no ill effects.

But do think about anyone you know who drinks diet sodas in the place of
other liquids. Are any of them thin or are all of them fat?

I'm lost. Difference between aspartame and other artificial
sweeteners ?


All of them either have known problems or will some day. Aspartame is
the one with the most problems.


Are they fat because they drink diet soda? Or do they drink diet soda
because they are fat?
What is the main purpose of drinking diet colas???
Do they help in losing body fats???
  #6  
Old February 15th, 2011, 02:52 AM
figure figure is offline
Banned
 
First recorded activity by WeightlossBanter: Feb 2011
Posts: 1
Default

Diet sodas have traditionally assisted individuals to lose weight because they are replacing the sugar sodas and juices. But diet sodas can bring on a host of unanticipated others issues such as decalcification of teeth.
  #7  
Old February 22nd, 2011, 02:46 AM
abbygirlmitchell abbygirlmitchell is offline
Banned
 
First recorded activity by WeightlossBanter: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Freyburger View Post
PB wrote:

I have so few pleasures left, can't keep diet coke/pepsi as one ?


Are diet sodas harmful? Probably. Are regular sugar sodas harmful?
Definitely. Chances are the diet sodas are no worse and may be a little
less bad than regular sugar sodas.

I have no reaction to aspartame but I do know a small number of people
who do. It blocks any attempt for my wife to lose and she's gone
through several cycles to demonstrate that happening. I prefer Diet
Rite or Diet RC Cola over either Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi because of
this. Diet Rite was the first on the market to switch to Splenda as its
sweetener.

Of course eventually problems will emerge about Splenda use just they do
with all artificial sweeteners, but there's no way they will end up as
common as aspartame problems. And I know my wife is one of the few who
have some sort of reaction to aspartame and neither of us have short
term issues with Splenda.

Bad for weight gain ? No one seems sure. zero calories, but something
about aspartame and sugar substitutes, I don't know.


I've known several people who drank diet sodas nearly to the exclusion
of regular water. They are fat. Diet sodas have no calories so they
may not contribute to weight gain but they certainly do nothing to help
loss. But is loss really about the liquids as long as you drink actual
water for your daily quota and have sodas in addition? I don't think so
unless you're experimented with stalls and seen the stalls break as soon
as you stopped aspartame.

Gonna just eat raw and drink water, except can't afford healthy food
vegan diet.


The idea that vegan food is healthy is false. There are valid reasons
for going vegan and if one of those reasons applies to you then do it.
But please don't use a false reason and then end up wondering why yet
another attempt at dieting failed.

That's why poor people are fat. Junk and processed foods are cheaper.


Cheaper in terms of time and convenience. If you compare the dollar
cost of going to fast food places for a month with buying on sale meat
and low price veggies for a month the dollar cost isn't going to be
higher for the healthy food. And if you use beans in a crockpot for a
fraction of your food that makes it a lot cheaper in dollars. The cost
of the healthy foods is the effort not the dollars, and in the learning
to buy based on price and the initial shopping trips that you end up
buying the worng foods before you relearn. The first month may cost
more dollars but not later months. It's the effort that's higher.

And once you consider the price in effort, making the inherently
problematic vegan approach healthy takes significantly more effort.
Humans are omnivores in objective fact and so it is very easy to cover
our metabolic needs by mixing meat and veggies and fruit and nuts
without much advance planning. Just have some of each and pay a little
attention to variety and it works. With vegan it takes planning to
acheive a healthy result. More price in the coinage of thought and
effort.

I think the more critical aspect is the fact that fast foods are
designed to trigger cravings for more of them. They tap instinctive
cravings for rich/fatty, sweet/starchy and salty, and they do it with
little other nutrition so they don't really let the hunger go completely
away.

I would also enjoy sodas why not but when doing it moderately it can do you good as with everything else.
  #8  
Old February 22nd, 2011, 02:49 AM
abbygirlmitchell abbygirlmitchell is offline
Banned
 
First recorded activity by WeightlossBanter: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by figure View Post
Diet sodas have traditionally assisted individuals to lose weight because they are replacing the sugar sodas and juices. But diet sodas can bring on a host of unanticipated others issues such as decalcification of teeth.

Yes, I agree, sodas produce health repercussions when the intake is just too much.
a href="http://superslimafricanmango.com/what-is-irvingia-gabonesis/irvingia gabonesis seed extract/a
  #9  
Old March 21st, 2011, 09:01 AM
Shaun02 Shaun02 is offline
Banned
 
First recorded activity by WeightlossBanter: Mar 2011
Posts: 4
Default

Well diet cola is not perfectly pure and good for health. Its better up to some extent but it has some drawbacks because it has some artificial ingredients and flavors add in it. So in my observations it is not effective for health.
  #10  
Old March 22nd, 2011, 05:41 AM
annsamyben annsamyben is offline
Banned
 
First recorded activity by WeightlossBanter: Mar 2011
Posts: 1
Default

As per my knowledge, water is the best solution for all the above mentioned problems. Water canít be replaced by any thing. The main disadvantage of using diet colas is it will affect the teeth. The good side of it is it will help to loose weight.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daily Diet Talk - Great Diet Support site - We need yourparticipation [email protected] General Discussion 1 February 23rd, 2008 04:37 PM
Want Your Kids to Cut Down on Colas? Andrew General Discussion 0 June 26th, 2005 07:38 AM
Want Your Kids to Cut Down on Colas? Andrew General Discussion 3 May 29th, 2005 10:45 AM
Want Your Kids to Cut Down on Colas? Roman Bystrianyk General Discussion 14 September 4th, 2004 02:41 AM
Dr. Andrew B. Chung is deluded WAS: Moderate-fat Diet Is Kinder To Heart Than Low-fat Diet Last Shot At The Mu_n General Discussion 0 February 6th, 2004 03:11 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2018 WeightLossBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.