A Weightloss and diet forum. WeightLossBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » WeightLossBanter forum » alt.support.diet newsgroups » Low Calorie
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Diet



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old November 17th, 2008, 05:42 PM posted to alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-calorie,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers,alt.support.eating-disord
jay[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 68
Default Diet

Ideas welcome. *Thanks

Drop all the processed foods. Eat simply prepared fresh/whole fruits,
veggies, beans and limited grains, nuts, meat, dairy, etc.
Supplemental fiber (extra carbs), OK.
  #12  
Old November 17th, 2008, 05:55 PM posted to alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-calorie,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers,alt.support.eating-disord
Info
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 21
Default Diet


wrote in message
...
On 17 nov, 00:01, "Info" wrote:
wrote in message

...
On 16 nov, 02:34, "Info" wrote:





If this is a duplicate, please accept my apologies.


I weigh 184 and am 5'7". I need to lose twenty pounds and I cannot
exercise
because I'm in a wheelchair.


What is your daily calorie intake and what do you eat to keep your taste
buds interested when you've cut back on food or calories?


I eat All Bran with skim milk in the AM and at least two apples a day. I
drink four or five glasses of water a day, some decaf tea and two
Metamucil
cocktails. I also take several B-Complex vitamins. I ran into some 90
calorie "garden burgers" and 230 frozen dinners. I hardly ever use salt.
Sometime I have half a sub from Subway. A dietician said that is OK.


I stopped chocolate and ice cream months ago. Fat free pudding and fruit
are my dessert, if I have any.


Do you eat soy burgers or other soy products? I can make them taste
good,
if I add a little low-cal salsa or other spicy stuff.


Ideas welcome. Thanks


I would advise you to learn to cook. And stop polluting your body with
industrial food and stuff made in a laboratory. Are your B-Complex
vitamins made from coal? If you visited the place where they produce
and saw the making from A to Z, I'm sure you would say "no thank you!"
if offered to try the pill. Extremely disturbing.

--------------
I cooked for myself every day for 30 years and in restaurants for 5 years
.
I can't any more because I can't hold a pan any longer or stand up without
support.
I have seizures and I use a machine at night so I don't stop breathing.

http://www.charcot-marie-tooth.org/a...t/overview.php

http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/

http://www.sleepapnea.org/- Masquer le texte des messages précédents -

- Afficher le texte des messages précédents -


I apologize.

For Vitamin B, I've been advised to get it from *natural* yeast that
you can mix with low-fat, no sugar added, yogurt. Do you have
organisations in your area that can help you with cooking?
------
Thank you, Mike. It's almost not necessary but a delight to find someone on
Usenet who
will apologize for something. I'm a little embarrassed right now. Your
response hit a nerve, last night,
and I almost ripped you a big one. Again, thank you.

My wife does all the cooking. It's healthy food and I keep the portions
small. It's breakfast and
lunch that I have to take care of.

I was eating the yogurt you mentioned, but I fell off the wagon. I'll get
bake on it, today.

I keep the carbs high because two of the drugs I take cause constipation. I
take a stool softener,
but I need to get rid of what I eat easily and the softener doesn't work
well enough.
I can still walk with a walker, but using the stove and microwave are
getting too dicey.
Early next year the stove will have become impossible. We are moving the
microwave
to put it at waist-level so I can get to it while sitting down.
I am contacting every organization that I can think of and am going to see
rehab doctors and
OT departments at several hospitals outside my HMO.


  #13  
Old November 17th, 2008, 09:23 PM posted to alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-calorie,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers,alt.support.eating-disord
Martin Levac
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 85
Default Diet

jay wrote:
Ideas welcome. Thanks


Drop all the processed foods. Eat simply prepared fresh/whole fruits,
veggies, beans and limited grains, nuts, meat, dairy, etc.
Supplemental fiber (extra carbs), OK.


Drop all carbs. Eat only meat. Any meat will do. Fatty meat preferably.
Supplement with vitamin D. Stay in bed. Read a book. Start with Good
Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. When your health returns, which
will happen pretty quickly on this kind of diet, you won't need to be
told to go out and play. You will simply do it as a result of returning
to good health.
  #14  
Old November 17th, 2008, 09:32 PM posted to alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-calorie,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers,alt.support.eating-disord
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 502
Default Diet

On 17 nov, 12:55, "Info" wrote:
wrote in message

...
On 17 nov, 00:01, "Info" wrote:





wrote in message


....
On 16 nov, 02:34, "Info" wrote:


If this is a duplicate, please accept my apologies.


I weigh 184 and am 5'7". I need to lose twenty pounds and I cannot
exercise
because I'm in a wheelchair.


What is your daily calorie intake and what do you eat to keep your taste
buds interested when you've cut back on food or calories?


I eat All Bran with skim milk in the AM and at least two apples a day.. I
drink four or five glasses of water a day, some decaf tea and two
Metamucil
cocktails. I also take several B-Complex vitamins. I ran into some 90
calorie "garden burgers" and 230 frozen dinners. I hardly ever use salt.
Sometime I have half a sub from Subway. A dietician said that is OK.


I stopped chocolate and ice cream months ago. Fat free pudding and fruit
are my dessert, if I have any.


Do you eat soy burgers or other soy products? I can make them taste
good,
if I add a little low-cal salsa or other spicy stuff.


Ideas welcome. Thanks


I would advise you to learn to cook. And stop polluting your body with
industrial food and stuff made in a laboratory. Are your B-Complex
vitamins made from coal? If you visited the place where they produce
and saw the making from A to Z, I'm sure you would say "no thank you!"
if offered to try the pill. Extremely disturbing.


--------------
I cooked for myself every day for 30 years and in restaurants for 5 years
.
I can't any more because I can't hold a pan any longer or stand up without
support.
I have seizures and I use a machine at night so I don't stop breathing.


http://www.charcot-marie-tooth.org/a...t/overview.php


http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/


http://www.sleepapnea.org/-Masquer le texte des messages précédents -


- Afficher le texte des messages précédents -


I apologize.

For Vitamin B, I've been *advised to get it from *natural* yeast that
you can mix with low-fat, no sugar added, yogurt. Do you have
organisations in your area that can help you with cooking?
------
Thank you, Mike. *It's almost not necessary but a delight to find someone on
Usenet who
will apologize for something. *I'm a little embarrassed right now. *Your
response hit a nerve, last night,
and I almost ripped you a big one. Again, thank you.


It's all good. One the best advice I can give you is that before
trying to figure out what your menu should be that you build your menu
around veggies. Eat as much veggie you can in a day and you won't have
much have room left for anything left. I'm a steak person. I could
have it for breakfast, no problem. I cooked a large piece of it last
night, enough to feed two persons. If I had not had anything else to
eat, I would have eaten all of it, and would have been hungry an hour
later. What I did is to have a herbal tea and a huge soup of only
veggies. After that, I did not have enough space for the whole steak,
so I ate only the half of it, and kept the rest for the next day. When
it comes to weight-management, nothing beats the veggies!
  #15  
Old November 17th, 2008, 10:47 PM posted to alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-calorie,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers,alt.support.eating-disord
Martin Levac
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 85
Default Diet

wrote:
On 17 nov, 12:55, "Info" wrote:
wrote in message

...
On 17 nov, 00:01, "Info" wrote:





wrote in message
...
On 16 nov, 02:34, "Info" wrote:
If this is a duplicate, please accept my apologies.
I weigh 184 and am 5'7". I need to lose twenty pounds and I cannot
exercise
because I'm in a wheelchair.
What is your daily calorie intake and what do you eat to keep your taste
buds interested when you've cut back on food or calories?
I eat All Bran with skim milk in the AM and at least two apples a day. I
drink four or five glasses of water a day, some decaf tea and two
Metamucil
cocktails. I also take several B-Complex vitamins. I ran into some 90
calorie "garden burgers" and 230 frozen dinners. I hardly ever use salt.
Sometime I have half a sub from Subway. A dietician said that is OK.
I stopped chocolate and ice cream months ago. Fat free pudding and fruit
are my dessert, if I have any.
Do you eat soy burgers or other soy products? I can make them taste
good,
if I add a little low-cal salsa or other spicy stuff.
Ideas welcome. Thanks
I would advise you to learn to cook. And stop polluting your body with
industrial food and stuff made in a laboratory. Are your B-Complex
vitamins made from coal? If you visited the place where they produce
and saw the making from A to Z, I'm sure you would say "no thank you!"
if offered to try the pill. Extremely disturbing.
--------------
I cooked for myself every day for 30 years and in restaurants for 5 years
.
I can't any more because I can't hold a pan any longer or stand up without
support.
I have seizures and I use a machine at night so I don't stop breathing.
http://www.charcot-marie-tooth.org/a...t/overview.php
http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/
http://www.sleepapnea.org/-Masquer le texte des messages précédents -
- Afficher le texte des messages précédents -

I apologize.

For Vitamin B, I've been advised to get it from *natural* yeast that
you can mix with low-fat, no sugar added, yogurt. Do you have
organisations in your area that can help you with cooking?
------
Thank you, Mike. It's almost not necessary but a delight to find someone on
Usenet who
will apologize for something. I'm a little embarrassed right now. Your
response hit a nerve, last night,
and I almost ripped you a big one. Again, thank you.


It's all good. One the best advice I can give you is that before
trying to figure out what your menu should be that you build your menu
around veggies. Eat as much veggie you can in a day and you won't have
much have room left for anything left. I'm a steak person. I could
have it for breakfast, no problem. I cooked a large piece of it last
night, enough to feed two persons. If I had not had anything else to
eat, I would have eaten all of it, and would have been hungry an hour
later. What I did is to have a herbal tea and a huge soup of only
veggies. After that, I did not have enough space for the whole steak,
so I ate only the half of it, and kept the rest for the next day. When
it comes to weight-management, nothing beats the veggies!


The China study shows that those who ate the most fruits and vegetables
were also the fattest. So it would seem that for weight management, at
least if the purpose is to grow fatter, then eating veggies is the way
to go.

You'd have been better off eating the whole steak. Steak is meat and
meat contains no carbohydrates.

Carbohydrates drive insulin drives fat accumulation.
  #16  
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:14 PM posted to alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-calorie,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers,alt.support.eating-disord
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 502
Default Diet

On 17 nov, 17:47, Martin Levac wrote:
wrote:
On 17 nov, 12:55, "Info" wrote:
wrote in message


....
On 17 nov, 00:01, "Info" wrote:


wrote in message
....
On 16 nov, 02:34, "Info" wrote:
If this is a duplicate, please accept my apologies.
I weigh 184 and am 5'7". I need to lose twenty pounds and I cannot
exercise
because I'm in a wheelchair.
What is your daily calorie intake and what do you eat to keep your taste
buds interested when you've cut back on food or calories?
I eat All Bran with skim milk in the AM and at least two apples a day. I
drink four or five glasses of water a day, some decaf tea and two
Metamucil
cocktails. I also take several B-Complex vitamins. I ran into some 90
calorie "garden burgers" and 230 frozen dinners. I hardly ever use salt.
Sometime I have half a sub from Subway. A dietician said that is OK.
I stopped chocolate and ice cream months ago. Fat free pudding and fruit
are my dessert, if I have any.
Do you eat soy burgers or other soy products? I can make them taste
good,
if I add a little low-cal salsa or other spicy stuff.
Ideas welcome. Thanks
I would advise you to learn to cook. And stop polluting your body with
industrial food and stuff made in a laboratory. Are your B-Complex
vitamins made from coal? If you visited the place where they produce
and saw the making from A to Z, I'm sure you would say "no thank you!"
if offered to try the pill. Extremely disturbing.
--------------
I cooked for myself every day for 30 years and in restaurants for 5 years
.
I can't any more because I can't hold a pan any longer or stand up without
support.
I have seizures and I use a machine at night so I don't stop breathing.
http://www.charcot-marie-tooth.org/a...t/overview.php
http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/
http://www.sleepapnea.org/-Masquerle texte des messages précédents -
- Afficher le texte des messages précédents -
I apologize.


For Vitamin B, I've been *advised to get it from *natural* yeast that
you can mix with low-fat, no sugar added, yogurt. Do you have
organisations in your area that can help you with cooking?
------
Thank you, Mike. *It's almost not necessary but a delight to find someone on
Usenet who
will apologize for something. *I'm a little embarrassed right now. *Your
response hit a nerve, last night,
and I almost ripped you a big one. Again, thank you.


It's all good. One the best advice I can give you is that before
trying to figure out what your menu should be that you build your menu
around veggies. Eat as much veggie you can in a day and you won't have
much have room left for anything left. I'm a steak person. I could
have it for breakfast, no problem. I cooked a large piece of it last
night, enough to feed two persons. If I had not had anything else to
eat, I would have eaten all of it, and would have been hungry an hour
later. What I did is to have a herbal tea and a huge soup of only
veggies. After that, I did not have enough space for the whole steak,
so I ate only the half of it, and kept the rest for the next day. When
it comes to weight-management, nothing beats the veggies!


The China study shows that those who ate the most fruits and vegetables
were also the fattest. So it would seem that for weight management, at
least if the purpose is to grow fatter, then eating veggies is the way
to go.

You'd have been better off eating the whole steak. Steak is meat and
meat contains no carbohydrates.

Carbohydrates drive insulin drives fat accumulation.- Masquer le texte des messages précédents -

- Afficher le texte des messages précédents -


"THE" China study? Never heard of it. If it was done by Chinese, then
I would not rely to much on it. The statement you mane is a too broad,
anyway. You're not telling me WICH fruits they eat. I eat mostly those
that don't make my glands produce too much fat-storing hormones. As
for steak, I buy the one containing no hormones or antibiotics.
  #17  
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:31 PM posted to alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-calorie,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers,alt.support.eating-disord
Martin Levac
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 85
Default Diet

wrote:
On 17 nov, 17:47, Martin Levac wrote:
wrote:
On 17 nov, 12:55, "Info" wrote:
wrote in message
...
On 17 nov, 00:01, "Info" wrote:
wrote in message
...
On 16 nov, 02:34, "Info" wrote:
If this is a duplicate, please accept my apologies.
I weigh 184 and am 5'7". I need to lose twenty pounds and I cannot
exercise
because I'm in a wheelchair.
What is your daily calorie intake and what do you eat to keep your taste
buds interested when you've cut back on food or calories?
I eat All Bran with skim milk in the AM and at least two apples a day. I
drink four or five glasses of water a day, some decaf tea and two
Metamucil
cocktails. I also take several B-Complex vitamins. I ran into some 90
calorie "garden burgers" and 230 frozen dinners. I hardly ever use salt.
Sometime I have half a sub from Subway. A dietician said that is OK.
I stopped chocolate and ice cream months ago. Fat free pudding and fruit
are my dessert, if I have any.
Do you eat soy burgers or other soy products? I can make them taste
good,
if I add a little low-cal salsa or other spicy stuff.
Ideas welcome. Thanks
I would advise you to learn to cook. And stop polluting your body with
industrial food and stuff made in a laboratory. Are your B-Complex
vitamins made from coal? If you visited the place where they produce
and saw the making from A to Z, I'm sure you would say "no thank you!"
if offered to try the pill. Extremely disturbing.
--------------
I cooked for myself every day for 30 years and in restaurants for 5 years
.
I can't any more because I can't hold a pan any longer or stand up without
support.
I have seizures and I use a machine at night so I don't stop breathing.
http://www.charcot-marie-tooth.org/a...t/overview.php
http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/
http://www.sleepapnea.org/-Masquerle texte des messages précédents -
- Afficher le texte des messages précédents -
I apologize.
For Vitamin B, I've been advised to get it from *natural* yeast that
you can mix with low-fat, no sugar added, yogurt. Do you have
organisations in your area that can help you with cooking?
------
Thank you, Mike. It's almost not necessary but a delight to find someone on
Usenet who
will apologize for something. I'm a little embarrassed right now. Your
response hit a nerve, last night,
and I almost ripped you a big one. Again, thank you.
It's all good. One the best advice I can give you is that before
trying to figure out what your menu should be that you build your menu
around veggies. Eat as much veggie you can in a day and you won't have
much have room left for anything left. I'm a steak person. I could
have it for breakfast, no problem. I cooked a large piece of it last
night, enough to feed two persons. If I had not had anything else to
eat, I would have eaten all of it, and would have been hungry an hour
later. What I did is to have a herbal tea and a huge soup of only
veggies. After that, I did not have enough space for the whole steak,
so I ate only the half of it, and kept the rest for the next day. When
it comes to weight-management, nothing beats the veggies!

The China study shows that those who ate the most fruits and vegetables
were also the fattest. So it would seem that for weight management, at
least if the purpose is to grow fatter, then eating veggies is the way
to go.

You'd have been better off eating the whole steak. Steak is meat and
meat contains no carbohydrates.

Carbohydrates drive insulin drives fat accumulation.- Masquer le texte des messages précédents -

- Afficher le texte des messages précédents -


"THE" China study? Never heard of it. If it was done by Chinese, then
I would not rely to much on it. The statement you mane is a too broad,
anyway. You're not telling me WICH fruits they eat. I eat mostly those
that don't make my glands produce too much fat-storing hormones. As
for steak, I buy the one containing no hormones or antibiotics.


All fruits and vegetables contain carbohydrates to some degree. There is
only one fat-storing hormone, it's insulin and it's not a gland that
makes it, it's the pancreas. More specifically, the beta cells inside
the pancreas. And there is only two things that make the pancreas
secrete and release insulin, it's carbohydrates and protein. But there's
only one of those that causes fat to accumulate, it's carbohydrates.

The mechanism is complicated and even I don't know everything that goes
on but I'll try to explain it in the simplest terms I can.

As I said, insulin is a storage hormone. Its primary function is to
store nutrients, all nutrients inside fat cells. Insulin is the primary
regulator of fat cells. Fat is stored inside fat cells as triglycerides.
Fat is also transported as triglycerides. But triglycerides are too big
to go through the fat cell membrane so it must be dismantled. Fat enters
and exits fat cells as fatty acids. Once inside, the fatty acids are
recombined into triglycerides using a molecule called alpha glycerol
phosphate i.e. glycerol.

This glycerol molecule is critical to fat accumulation. Without it,
fatty acids can't be bound and fat can't be stored. This molecule is the
by-product of glucose metabolism inside fat cells.

As fat cells use glucose, they produce glycerol. This glycerol is used
to recombine fatty acids into triglycerides for storage. As we eat
carbohydrates, blood glucose rises, insulin rises, insulin takes glucose
(and fatty acids) and stores it inside fat cells, fat cells use glucose,
produce glycerol which can then be used to recombine the fatty acids
into triglycerides for storage. Fat accumulates, we grow fat.

Protein doesn't cause glucose to rise so it can't cause fat accumulation
like I explained above even though it causes insulin to rise. However,
in the context of a low carb diet, eating protein can cause a stall in
fat loss temporarily because it causes insulin to rise temporarily. The
solution to this is easy, eat less protein but eat more fat.
  #18  
Old November 18th, 2008, 03:37 PM posted to alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-calorie,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers,alt.support.eating-disord
Doug Freyburger
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,866
Default Diet

Martin Levac wrote:

All fruits and vegetables contain carbohydrates to some degree. There is
only one fat-storing hormone, it's insulin and it's not a gland that
makes it, it's the pancreas. More specifically, the beta cells inside
the pancreas.


Ah. At this point you've finally come out as a no-carb troll.
History says no-carb trolls don't last so you're not a problem.

And there is only two things that make the pancreas
secrete and release insulin, it's carbohydrates and protein. But there's
only one of those that causes fat to accumulate, it's carbohydrates.


This is incorrect. It's only carbs. See glucogenesis for how
excess protein is converted to glucose for use as fuel.

The mechanism is complicated and even I don't know everything that goes
on but I'll try to explain it in the simplest terms I can.


The mechanism is only complicated to people who want it to be
as simple as "if low carb is good, then lower carb is better and
zero carb is best". If it were that simple every single low carb
book out there would recommend doing exactly that. None do
and without exception folks who draw out quotes on the topic
to support that view ignore the context from the book they are
quoting.

Below some point in dietary carbs eating less carb does not
result in lower insulin release. Lower isn't better all the way to
zero.

Protein doesn't cause glucose to rise


Incorrect. See glucogenesis for how excess dietary protein is
converted to glucose at a bit over 50% energy efficiency.

... However,
in the context of a low carb diet, eating protein can cause a stall in
fat loss temporarily because it causes insulin to rise temporarily. The
solution to this is easy, eat less protein but eat more fat.


Also incorrect. This ignores the fact that fat is pulled from storage
based on the concentration of the hormone glucagon and that
glucagon is released in an indirect result of (dietary fat calories
minus dietary carb calories) and that's why low carbing is high
fat.
  #19  
Old November 18th, 2008, 04:12 PM posted to alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-calorie,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers,alt.support.eating-disord
jay[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 68
Default Diet

...Eat only meat. Fatty meat preferably. ...

Many persistent environmental pollutants (ie PCBs, dioxins,
pesticides, herbicides, plasticizers, heavy metals, solvents, etc) are
lipohilic. A diet high in animal fat will significantly increase
exposure to such pollutants. See
http://www.newscientist.com/article/...html?full=true

Search www.pubmed.com for "TCDD" (a dioxin) to see the effects of one
such pollutant.
  #20  
Old November 25th, 2008, 02:03 PM posted to alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-calorie,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers,alt.support.eating-disord
Tanel Kagan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default Diet

"Info" wrote in message
.. .
If this is a duplicate, please accept my apologies.

I weigh 184 and am 5'7". I need to lose twenty pounds and I cannot
exercise because I'm in a wheelchair.

What is your daily calorie intake and what do you eat to keep your taste
buds interested when you've cut back on food or calories?

I eat All Bran with skim milk in the AM and at least two apples a day. I
drink four or five glasses of water a day, some decaf tea and two
Metamucil cocktails. I also take several B-Complex vitamins. I ran into
some 90 calorie "garden burgers" and 230 frozen dinners. I hardly ever
use salt. Sometime I have half a sub from Subway. A dietician said that
is OK.

I stopped chocolate and ice cream months ago. Fat free pudding and fruit
are my dessert, if I have any.

Do you eat soy burgers or other soy products? I can make them taste good,
if I add a little low-cal salsa or other spicy stuff.

Ideas welcome. Thanks


Hi there,

Let me try and break this down.

I've been on the "Special K diet" for about 6-7 weeks. Thing is, I don't
really like to call it a "diet" as such, because I do eat a bowl for
breakfast and a bowl for lunch, with basically whatever I want in the
evening, but I guess millions and millions of people eat cornflakes in the
morning anyway so are they all "dieting" in one sense of the word?

In those 6-7 weeks I've lost 6-7 kilos, or about 13-15 lbs. In other words,
about a kilo or 2lbs a week. I'm 6'1" and weighed 113 kg (248 lbs), now I
weigh about 106kg (233 lbs).

First of all, you say you need to lose 20 lbs, but how quickly are you
proposing to do it? If you aim to lose 20 lbs in about 8-10 weeks, then I
think that's quite feasible and won't do you any harm. On the other hand,
if you're trying to lose 20 lbs in 4 weeks, then not only are you going to
find it difficult, but you'll probably be restricting your body's
nutritional intake to an extent that isn't healthy.

I started by looking at the recommended average daily calorie intake for a
man. It's supposed to be 2,500 for men and 2,000 for women.

I then said to myself "ok, factor in your exercise level and job". I have
an office job, and exercise is something I get around to once every few
weeks. So I figured that if 2,500 is the average, I probably needed to
reduce the "baseline" a bit. So I set my "baseline" at 2,000 calories a
day. I think this is an important step because if you don't exercise and
don't have a manual job that requires energy, and you're still looking at
2,500 as the minimum, then you won't really see results. On the other hand,
if you're a lumberjack by trade and finish it off with a game of squash at
the gym, then your basic requirement is going to be somewhat higher.

Of course, that figure is the basic number of calories that you are supposed
to consume to be at a stable level. If you're looking to lose weight, then
your target has to be a bit lower than that. So I said to myself that I'd
aim for 1,500 to 1,750 calories a day.

Now some people will be quick to say "oh calorie counting doesn't work".
Well it doesn't work for many people simply because a) they don't have the
discipline to follow it and b) it's not always obvious how many calories
they're consuming.

In my opinion, calorie counting *has* to work. When you strip away
everything else, you're left with a basic, fundamental principle, that what
goes in minus what goes out equals what's left. Of course, different
people's respond differently to different things, but ultimately if you're
expending a certain amount of energy which is greater than the amount of
chemical energy contained in the food you eat, then your body will look to
burn its own fat reserves to make up the deficit, rather than the opposite
scenario when you consume more than you expend such that the body stores the
additional chemical energy as fat.

I suppose I'm fortunate in that I've never had an addiction to sweet food
and chocolate. I enjoy them, yes, but I can go for ages without them and
not miss them. Rather, my weakness is to takeaway food so part of the plan
was to cut that down. By implication, cutting down on these foods reduced
my calorie intake, since most are very high in calories, but the key point
was that nothing is off-limits.

The cereal in the morning is about 250 calories, same again at lunch.
Sometimes I'll actually substitute the lunchtime bowl with some fruit, also
does the trick. This way, if I've used up about 500 calories, I can enjoy a
nice meal with 1,250-1,500 calories in the evening.

Yes, there are some people that will say "oh but you need more calories in
the morning", and others will say "you shouldn't eat after such and such
hour", but I think they're missing the point.

The point is that we are not trying to fine tune our bodies to the degree
that an olympic athlete requires, only eating foods from a prescribed list
and at certain times of day. What we are trying to do (at least what I was
trying to do) was to begin to invoke a general trend in my eating habits,
resulting in a gradual weight loss. What many people tend to do is hit the
spring, fresh from the excesses of Christmas/New Year and start thinking "oh
I need to get that bikini body" (I don't wear one myself...) or something
like that, and then try to achieve the impossible in a short space of time.




 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daily Diet Talk - Great Diet Support site - We need yourparticipation [email protected] General Discussion 1 February 23rd, 2008 04:37 PM
Daily Diet Talk - Great Diet Support site - We need yourparticipation [email protected] General Discussion 0 February 23rd, 2008 04:51 AM
Dr. Andrew B. Chung is deluded WAS: Moderate-fat Diet Is Kinder To Heart Than Low-fat Diet Last Shot At The Mu_n General Discussion 0 February 6th, 2004 03:11 PM
Moderate-Fat Diet is Kinder to Heart than Low-Fat Diet, Study by UB Researcher Shows Ken Kubos Low Carbohydrate Diets 7 February 5th, 2004 12:17 PM
diet: Negative behavior changes in recently dxed male senior with dr's orders to change diet New General Discussion 4 November 7th, 2003 06:48 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2021 WeightLossBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.