A Weightloss and diet forum. WeightLossBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » WeightLossBanter forum » alt.support.diet newsgroups » Low Carbohydrate Diets
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Using dehydrator to dry MEAT (for jerky)



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 22nd, 2004, 02:57 PM
zxcvbob
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Using dehydrator to dry MEAT (for jerky)

Ignoramus20054 wrote:
Is it safe to use a dehydrator to dry meat for jerky?


Yes

Can meat be cured (to kill bacteria) with a salt solution only, no
sugar?


Yes (although the amount of sugar used is usually pretty insignificant)

Bob

  #2  
Old July 22nd, 2004, 02:57 PM
zxcvbob
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Using dehydrator to dry MEAT (for jerky)

Ignoramus20054 wrote:
Is it safe to use a dehydrator to dry meat for jerky?


Yes

Can meat be cured (to kill bacteria) with a salt solution only, no
sugar?


Yes (although the amount of sugar used is usually pretty insignificant)

Bob

  #3  
Old July 22nd, 2004, 03:14 PM
Drop34
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Using dehydrator to dry MEAT (for jerky)


"Ignoramus20054" wrote in message
...
In article , zxcvbob wrote:
Ignoramus20054 wrote:
Is it safe to use a dehydrator to dry meat for jerky?


Yes


Well, is curing required? Or I can simply dry thin strips of raw meat?

Can meat be cured (to kill bacteria) with a salt solution only, no
sugar?


Yes (although the amount of sugar used is usually pretty insignificant)


Thanks. I will now look for cure recipes.

i


(I didn't see this post until i read the other and posted there.)

Will you share your findings, please?


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.725 / Virus Database: 480 - Release Date: 7/19/2004


  #4  
Old July 22nd, 2004, 03:14 PM
Drop34
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Using dehydrator to dry MEAT (for jerky)


"Ignoramus20054" wrote in message
...
In article , zxcvbob wrote:
Ignoramus20054 wrote:
Is it safe to use a dehydrator to dry meat for jerky?


Yes


Well, is curing required? Or I can simply dry thin strips of raw meat?

Can meat be cured (to kill bacteria) with a salt solution only, no
sugar?


Yes (although the amount of sugar used is usually pretty insignificant)


Thanks. I will now look for cure recipes.

i


(I didn't see this post until i read the other and posted there.)

Will you share your findings, please?


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.725 / Virus Database: 480 - Release Date: 7/19/2004


  #5  
Old July 22nd, 2004, 03:34 PM
Penelope Baker
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Using dehydrator to dry MEAT (for jerky)


"Ignoramus20054" wrote in message
...
Is it safe to use a dehydrator to dry meat for jerky?


yes

Can meat be
cured (to kill bacteria) with a salt solution only, no sugar?


yes, that's how it was done in the old days, especially for sailors

peace,
pen


  #6  
Old July 22nd, 2004, 03:34 PM
Penelope Baker
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Using dehydrator to dry MEAT (for jerky)


"Ignoramus20054" wrote in message
...
Is it safe to use a dehydrator to dry meat for jerky?


yes

Can meat be
cured (to kill bacteria) with a salt solution only, no sugar?


yes, that's how it was done in the old days, especially for sailors

peace,
pen


  #7  
Old July 22nd, 2004, 03:35 PM
Laura B.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Using dehydrator to dry MEAT (for jerky)

Ignoramus20054 wrote:
Is it safe to use a dehydrator to dry meat for jerky? Can meat be
cured (to kill bacteria) with a salt solution only, no sugar?

i


Yes and Yes.

Here's the recipe I use with the occasional variation...

Have your butcher trim fat and slice a very lean roast such as eye of
round. Tell them it's for jerky.

For each pound of meat add...
1 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 cup water (more or less depending on amount of meat)

Add ingredients from above. Mix well and let sit in the fridge over
night. I put mine in a zip lock bag and give it the occasional sqeeze
to mix things up.

It can be dried in the oven on cookie sheets but it's not as fast as a
food dryer.

I've played with adding a bit of splenda, onion powder and garlic
powder. I like a mix of the three the best.

Always store home made jerky in the fridge or freezer.

Good luck,
Laura B.
  #8  
Old July 22nd, 2004, 03:35 PM
Laura B.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Using dehydrator to dry MEAT (for jerky)

Ignoramus20054 wrote:
Is it safe to use a dehydrator to dry meat for jerky? Can meat be
cured (to kill bacteria) with a salt solution only, no sugar?

i


Yes and Yes.

Here's the recipe I use with the occasional variation...

Have your butcher trim fat and slice a very lean roast such as eye of
round. Tell them it's for jerky.

For each pound of meat add...
1 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 cup water (more or less depending on amount of meat)

Add ingredients from above. Mix well and let sit in the fridge over
night. I put mine in a zip lock bag and give it the occasional sqeeze
to mix things up.

It can be dried in the oven on cookie sheets but it's not as fast as a
food dryer.

I've played with adding a bit of splenda, onion powder and garlic
powder. I like a mix of the three the best.

Always store home made jerky in the fridge or freezer.

Good luck,
Laura B.
  #9  
Old July 22nd, 2004, 03:37 PM
Penelope Baker
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Using dehydrator to dry MEAT (for jerky)

Does anyone have any recommendations/reviews for a dehydrator? I've been
thinking about it for a while...to make my own dried tomatoes and jerky...

Peace,
Pen

"Laura B." wrote in message
...
Ignoramus20054 wrote:
Is it safe to use a dehydrator to dry meat for jerky? Can meat be
cured (to kill bacteria) with a salt solution only, no sugar?

i


Yes and Yes.

Here's the recipe I use with the occasional variation...

Have your butcher trim fat and slice a very lean roast such as eye of
round. Tell them it's for jerky.

For each pound of meat add...
1 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 cup water (more or less depending on amount of meat)

Add ingredients from above. Mix well and let sit in the fridge over
night. I put mine in a zip lock bag and give it the occasional sqeeze
to mix things up.

It can be dried in the oven on cookie sheets but it's not as fast as a
food dryer.

I've played with adding a bit of splenda, onion powder and garlic
powder. I like a mix of the three the best.

Always store home made jerky in the fridge or freezer.

Good luck,
Laura B.



  #10  
Old July 22nd, 2004, 03:50 PM
Penelope Baker
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Using dehydrator to dry MEAT (for jerky)


"zxcvbob" wrote in message
...
Penelope Baker wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations/reviews for a dehydrator? I've

been
thinking about it for a while...to make my own dried tomatoes and

jerky...

Peace,
Pen



American Harvest or Nesco (they're the same company) "Snackmaster Pro"
or "FD-50".

The Excalabur dehydrators are even better, but IMHO they're not worth
the price. If you see an Excalabur at a rummage sale for $20, grab it!


oh now THAT'S an idea! thanks

peace,
pen


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Human ancestors started eating meat, evolution served up a healthy bonus... Ken Kubos Low Carbohydrate Diets 3 March 23rd, 2004 03:16 AM
Second guessing myself curt Low Carbohydrate Diets 6 March 5th, 2004 03:56 AM
Enhanced Meat?? Jake Low Carbohydrate Diets 4 October 16th, 2003 12:43 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 WeightLossBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.