A Weightloss and diet forum. WeightLossBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » WeightLossBanter forum » alt.support.diet newsgroups » Low Calorie
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

New Member for Advice

Old December 18th, 2006, 03:53 AM

First recorded activity by WeightlossBanter: Dec 2006
Send a message via AIM to lbwhite
Default New Member for Advice

Hello everyone!

I just joined the community, so I thought I'd come in and ask for some advice. I'm a 17 year old girl, about 5'5" and currently 138 lbs. About four months ago I was 163lbs. When I asked my doctor about possible weight loss, she recommended Atkins (low-carb, for those who don't know). I did Atkins precisely by the book, and even though I did very little exercise, I lost 25 pounds in less than four months. It worked fabulously and I feel much better about myself now. My goal is 130 and Phase 2 of my plan is to tone up while losing these last pounds, or maybe just maintaining this weight, I haven't quite decided yet.

I've been doing twenty minutes on my treadmill (power walking/jogging, a little over a mile) 6 days a week, and a combination of 100 crunches, 20 push ups, 20 squats, 20 lunges, 1/2 mile on the treadmill, and some work with dumbells three days a week. I started this exactly one week ago, and I already feel like it's making a difference. As I said, low-carb worked for me, but to be honest, I'll be happy to never eat baked chicken, tuna, broccoli, or green beans for the rest of my life. I'm so sick of the food on the low-carb diet and I feel it's time for a change before I burst in frustration. I went shopping today for my new low-calorie groceries and I can't wait to get started tomorrow.

Last week I weighed in at 135, but this week I'll admit that I cheated quite a bit, and today I weighed in three pounds heavier. I know my lack of effort this week, water weight, being bloated (oh yes, THAT time is upon us), and maybe even my body getting used to the exercise all contribute to this, but I can't help but worry about how my body will react to low-calorie in stead of low-carb. For now I'm trying to stay at 1,000 calories. Whenever I put my weight into one of these sites, they tell me I need over 2,000 calories, but I thought it'd be best to start slow and let my body get used to having more carbs, but less fat/calories.

I'd consider myself in pretty good knowledge of all the rules on low-carb, but the only thing I know about low-calorie other than the obvious, counting calories, is that sugar plays a part too, as in all other diets, as well as sodium. I took both of those into consideration, but what I'm wanting to know is this: are there any other rules I should keep in mind when I'm deciding what I can and can't eat? Will certain foods make me retain a lot of water? What should I stay away from even if the calories aren't high?

Also, how does my exercise regiment look? Should I modify it at all? I'd like to focus on my abs, thighs, and arms (well, what else is there?!)...especially thighs and abs. I've been looking up certain exercises that are most effective in those areas, but I couldn't find anything I could do without some sort of equipment, like a medicine ball or an ab lounge.

One more thing, I hear green tea can SLIGHTLY help you lose weight...something about speeding up metabolism. Do you think that if I take green tea extract pills, it will work the same way? I also heard that fruits like grapefruit can also naturally burn calories. Is there anything else, other than diet pills, that can help aid me in my continued weight loss?

Thanks guys!
Lyndsey