A Weightloss and diet forum. WeightLossBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » WeightLossBanter forum » alt.support.diet newsgroups » Weightwatchers
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Beach Body

Old June 7th, 2006, 01:53 PM posted to alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
external usenet poster

Default For Rodney

To take this a step further - taste is one of the senses. To savor something that has great taste and mouth feel is a normal pleasurable activity just as is wearing silk instead of burlap. I was reading an article in this week's Time about two chefs, one of them was Giada DeLaurentis, and they talk about how they stay thin surrounded by so much temptation and great food. Portion control and food snobbery is the basic line.

I'm going to enjoy food like chocolate once in a while, but I'm not going to eat a Hershey bar.
--
the volleyballchick
"lesanne" wrote in message news
The most important factor in your posts is your repetition of the idea that eating for pleasure is somehow a bad thing. It is a survival mechanism to receive pleasure from food. People who do not receive pleasure from eating when their body is hungry, are depressed. It is one of the most telling indicators of depression. All normal healthy people get pleasure from food. Eating a small amount of a sweet food is a normal and delightful blessing of life. Overeating it, is not satisfying anyway. After the first bite or two sweets lose that jazzy great taste that one gets from the first bite. Obesity, particularly morbid obesity, is not a food issue, it is a mental issue. I suppose I can academically accept that eliminating certain foods from your diet is a simple method of weight control if you have to do it. I don't have to do it, and it would take a major life pleasure from me. It is also not what normal weight people do, any more that writing what you eat in a journal for the rest of your life is not what normal people do.

Old June 7th, 2006, 03:03 PM posted to alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
external usenet poster

Default For Rodney

Hey VBC, Hershey is "trying" to get into the actual quality chocolate market. I was going to add an addendum to this post anyway, to say that my consumption of actual sugar bowl sugar is pretty much nil. I have one really unhealthy habit (my morning triple shot of caffeine). Naturally like anything else if I could stick with a single it would be not a big deal. Actually since I stick to that one big mug it is certainly not a major health factor, but...
I put Stevia and nonfat dry milk in that. I like it sweet and there is no way I am dumping actual sugar from a sugar bowl in it any more than I would consume something that has high fructose corn syrup in it such as cola or some other sub-standard offering. I am a total food snob. Only organic vegetables and fruit mostly, never eat any sort of meat that has been treated with antibiotics or artificial hormones...... My sweets tend to come in the category of the chunk of dark chocolate that I buy a couple of hundred miles north of here when I take a trip to Whole Foods in Austin, or a dessert I make myself which generally includes healthy ingredients with the organic cane sugar I might add to it. It is hard to say that my desserts don't have nutritional value, because they invariably do. They almost always include one or more of the "super foods" that are being publicized so much now. As far as prepared sweets, I have some home made frozen yogurt that has fruit in it, some dark chocolate covered blueberries, the chunk of chocolate from Whole foods and a fruit cobbler I made that has organic apples, berries and an oatmeal topping. Incidentally, I have had the cobbler for 3 days and there is one small serving gone, the chunk of chocolate for almost 2 months and most of it is there, and the chocolate blueberries for a couple of weeks and they are almost all there too. If I told myself I couldn't have them the *inner brat* would finish it all off in about ten minutes . If some man told me I shouldn't eat them I would probably kick him. In the past I would have gained 30 pounds over a comment like that. See, I have dealt with some major emotional issues .
--
Les
"Nunya B." wrote in message ...
To take this a step further - taste is one of the senses. To savor something that has great taste and mouth feel is a normal pleasurable activity just as is wearing silk instead of burlap. I was reading an article in this week's Time about two chefs, one of them was Giada DeLaurentis, and they talk about how they stay thin surrounded by so much temptation and great food. Portion control and food snobbery is the basic line.

I'm going to enjoy food like chocolate once in a while, but I'm not going to eat a Hershey bar.
--
the volleyballchick

Old June 7th, 2006, 03:44 PM posted to alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
external usenet poster

Default For Rodney

Excellent!

I'm with you on the emotional issues. My problem is mainly physiological (PCOS without insulin resistance and a metabolic problem with fat) and I can put on as much as 20 lbs in 2 days if I am not taking my meds and careful about what I eat. My endo said that it's not uncommon for people like me, where my body doesn't respond the way it is supposed to, to have eating disorders. I've just made the decision to work around the issues and accept that life isn't fair - I simply choose not to feel deprived. People with eating disorders should not be on restrictive diets, period. That's what the research shows and that's what's worked for me.

I still use Splenda and other substitutes when doing some cooking, but I've limited it because sweet taste no longer has the same appeal. I like an occasional scoop of ice cream more than a good chocolate truffle. I'm a fruit person more than anything else. My coffee has vanilla flavored Soy Slender milk in it, but it's one of my daily milk servings.
--
the volleyballchick
"lesanne" wrote in message ...
Hey VBC, Hershey is "trying" to get into the actual quality chocolate market. I was going to add an addendum to this post anyway, to say that my consumption of actual sugar bowl sugar is pretty much nil. I have one really unhealthy habit (my morning triple shot of caffeine). Naturally like anything else if I could stick with a single it would be not a big deal. Actually since I stick to that one big mug it is certainly not a major health factor, but...
I put Stevia and nonfat dry milk in that. I like it sweet and there is no way I am dumping actual sugar from a sugar bowl in it any more than I would consume something that has high fructose corn syrup in it such as cola or some other sub-standard offering. I am a total food snob. Only organic vegetables and fruit mostly, never eat any sort of meat that has been treated with antibiotics or artificial hormones...... My sweets tend to come in the category of the chunk of dark chocolate that I buy a couple of hundred miles north of here when I take a trip to Whole Foods in Austin, or a dessert I make myself which generally includes healthy ingredients with the organic cane sugar I might add to it. It is hard to say that my desserts don't have nutritional value, because they invariably do. They almost always include one or more of the "super foods" that are being publicized so much now. As far as prepared sweets, I have some home made frozen yogurt that has fruit in it, some dark chocolate covered blueberries, the chunk of chocolate from Whole foods and a fruit cobbler I made that has organic apples, berries and an oatmeal topping. Incidentally, I have had the cobbler for 3 days and there is one small serving gone, the chunk of chocolate for almost 2 months and most of it is there, and the chocolate blueberries for a couple of weeks and they are almost all there too. If I told myself I couldn't have them the *inner brat* would finish it all off in about ten minutes . If some man told me I shouldn't eat them I would probably kick him. In the past I would have gained 30 pounds over a comment like that. See, I have dealt with some major emotional issues .
--
Les

--
the volleyballchick

Old June 7th, 2006, 03:46 PM posted to alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
external usenet poster

Default For Rodney

Could you share your recipe for fruit cobbler...It sounds great...GG
--
Les

--
the volleyballchick

Old June 7th, 2006, 05:23 PM posted to alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
external usenet poster

Default Beach Body

Old June 7th, 2006, 05:26 PM posted to alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
external usenet poster

Default Beach Body

I always try to support everyone who comes here, and I generally read
threads I don't post to, I have made the decision to use my filter in this
case , I am only telling you guys who are regulars and the nubis that want
WW support so you wont think I am being rude. Lee
Rodney Long wrote in message
lesanne wrote:
I said you are a "poor thing" because if you don't eat processed sugar,
you literally never get to go out to dinner.......

I eat out, when I'm not close to home when it's time to eat,,

When I mean no sugar, I mean if I know there is sugar in it, Oh I'm sure
I have eaten some refined sugar over the last 12 months,, but very
little compared to what I used to eat, and drink

I no longer consider "eating out" a social activity, or really even a
pleasurable activity. I'm missing NOTHING, my life is fuller than it has
ever been.

They put that in all
kinds of things, most notably in most of the spices used to season food
that you eat in virtually any good restaurant, and every not so good

one....
And eating sugar does not retard weight loss or cause weight gain,

Tell that to the thousands of people who find out they are diabetic, and
get off of sugar, most loose around 40 lbs, before they start making it
up with the other carbs, and fat.

(Refined sugar has ZERO benefit to one's body, it is only eaten or drank
for "pleasure" )

unless one eats too much of it. The body handles small amounts of sugar
the same way it does the natural sugars in fruit. I rarely eat it
because I like vitamins with my sugar, so I choose fruit a lot.
Sometimes, however, there is just no substitute for a good piece of
chocolate. A nice decent serving has about 100 calories.

There is a difference between us,, I get no pleasure out of chocolate
anymore, and don't miss it a bit.

Obesity is a major problem in the US, and doctors can't help 95% unless
they do radical surgery.

Changing the persons mind is the only thing that really works, WW works
on that, and helps "some" of the people who go there, more than any
other program. I don't think they go far enough though, in changing
one's mind set, as you are forever in the "program" if you want to keep
the weight off. That is not a cure, it's a life long treatment of the
disease. I think they are close,, so close, to be able to actually cure
obesity.

I have a personal interest in WW, it is what my wife is on, it has never
worked long for her, she has been in the program "this time" for 12
months, I'm glad she has lost her 10 lbs, and not gained any, but she
wants to loose 60 more. I'm here to find out why she has not succeeded,
when you have. I think it's the mind set you have, verses hers.

I see you don't get back on the program until you gain a few lbs. The
question is "why do you gain a few pounds ?"

I got off all counting and "dieting" (after loosing 40 lbs) and still
lost 60 more lbs in 9 months. (actually plus 2 more last week) It
happened because my whole perspective on food changed. I had gotten my
mind right. I will never be obese again, and never be CONTROLLED by food
AGAIN. I will also never feel like I'm missing something. I eat "only"
what is good for my body, my mind no longer has anything to do with it.

That means I no longer eat for pleasure, or for self medicating, or out
of boredom.

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Mojo SpecTastic "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread,
Boomerang Fishing Pro. ,Stand Out Hooks ,Stand Out Lures,
Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights, and the EZKnot
http://www.ezknot.com

Old June 9th, 2006, 03:51 AM posted to alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
external usenet poster

Default fruit cobbler recipe

Gary, my computer was offline, but I am back

This is the basic thing: I made it up, so I don't have real specific amounts, I tend to make enough to fit whatever pan I am using.
2 - 3 cups Fruit (I usually use a mix of organic sliced apple and frozen organic berries)
I sprinkle that with cinnamon or pie spice, a little stevia, a little salt *that tastes something like maybe there is some butter when there isn't*
A couple of tsp of cornstarch mixed in there.
Then I top it with a mixture of oatmeal, whole wheat graham crackers ground in the nut grinder, or maybe a little low fat granola cereal for crunch. I mix that with maybe a tablespoon of spectrum spread, another pinch of salt, a little stevia again, and a little concentrated pineapple juice. This makes a kind of damp mixture that I spread on top. There is usually about a cup of topping and it makes a thin crust. Then I bake it all at around 325 for about a hour. It gets very nice and cobbler like.

--
Leslie Arnim

"Gary G" wrote in message ...
--
Les

--
the volleyballchick

Old June 9th, 2006, 04:40 AM posted to alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
external usenet poster

Thanks...I'll try it this weekend...I'm working on some habanero recipes and this would be a great follow-up...Thanks again...GG

This is the basic thing: I made it up, so I don't have real specific amounts, I tend to make enough to fit whatever pan I am using.
2 - 3 cups Fruit (I usually use a mix of organic sliced apple and frozen organic berries)
I sprinkle that with cinnamon or pie spice, a little stevia, a little salt *that tastes something like maybe there is some butter when there isn't*
Then I top it with a mixture of oatmeal, whole wheat graham crackers ground in the nut grinder, or maybe a little low fat granola cereal for crunch. I mix that with maybe a tablespoon of spectrum spread, another pinch of salt, a little stevia again, and a little concentrated pineapple juice. This makes a kind of damp mixture that I spread on top. There is usually about a cup of topping and it makes a thin crust. Then I bake it all at around 325 for about a hour. It gets very nice and cobbler like.

--
Leslie Arnim

--
Les

--
the volleyballchick

Old June 9th, 2006, 04:16 PM posted to alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
external usenet poster

mmmmmm drool, Lee
lesanne wrote in message ...

--
Leslie Arnim

--
Les

--
the volleyballchick

Old June 9th, 2006, 08:37 PM posted to alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
external usenet poster

This is the way my wife makes it

She uses what I would assume is a 9 * 13 baking dish.

One pound bag of frozen peaches. (we also do it with blueberries, but she says it's a little more in points.)

Next sprinkle a box of yellow cake mix on top of it.

Then pour 12 oz of Diet sprit (or 7 UP) on top of the cake mix.

Cover with foil and cook at 350 for 25 minutes.

Uncover and cook for another 25 minutes.

Cut into 8 pieces.

Put a little fat free cool whip on it.

If having for left overs heat up each piece in microwave for about 15 seconds or so.

"Stormmee" wrote in message ...
mmmmmm drool, Lee
lesanne wrote in message ...

--
Leslie Arnim

--
Les

--
the volleyballchick